A HAWK FOR THE BUSH
By Jack. G. Mavrogordato, 2005 Edition 7” x 10” hardbound book 269 pages with a colored dust cover with many colored photos throughout the book.
A treatise on the training of the Sparrowhawk and other Short-Winged hawks.
This is a wonderful detailed book for anyone that is interested in learning more about training of all short winged hawks such as Sharp-Shinn hawk, Coopers Hawk or Goshawks.
Content sections include:
1. Wild hawk
2. On the choice of a Hawk
3. On the taking, rearing, and hacking of Eyasses
4. On breeding the Sparrowhawk in Captivity
6. The Hood
9. Calling off
10. The Quarry, Entering, and Slipping
11. The Sore-hawk
12. We’ll A-Birding together
14. Health and Disease By Dr Neil A. Forbes
15. The Shortwinged Hawks
16. Law and Ethics
There are also other informative sections within this book and some very nice added sections by Jim Nelson listed below.
1. Hoods further details on Anglo –Indian Hoods construction and use.
2. Also there is a full revised listing on Anglo Indian hood patterns with templates and a size chart to choose hood sizes for each bird.
Jack Mavrogordato lived a life immersed in falconry, both Eastern and Western. He excelled not only in his practice but in his leadership and his writing as well. Perhaps known best for A Hawk for the Bush” arguably the best thing written on shortwings since Edmund Bert. The principles he advocates in all his writings are applicable to all the raptors within the falconer’s repertoire.
S. Kent Carnie
5175 A Hawk for the Bush. $49.95
(For lowest cost shipping you can add a note in the comments box at checkout time and within the USA we can ship your (books only) using Book rate.)